Monday, October 1, 2012

Local Wildlife

The last couple of days, we've had some visitors to the homestead and boy does my human Jeanne act funny. I had to go potty one night and we went to the edge of the driveway to take care of business. I noticed some movement in the field and Jeanne looked with a flashlight and there was a black cat with a white stripe down it's back. I know cats, so I wanted to get closer but she wouldn't let me and we went inside quick. Turns out, it wasn't a cat but something my humans called a skunk. I still don't know what the big deal was, but they told me story of their other dog Niko who pulled my human Lance into a skunk and they both got very stinky. Go figure.

Three nights in a row, that skunk was in the field and Jeanne brought me in real quick. For a couple more nights it was boring outside but then I saw some movement again in the trees. It was bigger this time, but I got my business taken care of and we started back into the house. All of a sudden a loud howl sounded and it was really close. A few seconds later a ruckus erupted and my human pulled me inside lickity split. We have coyotes and she thought they thought I looked like lunch. Personally, I think they thought she was lunch, the big scarredy cat.



The lastest visitor my human Lance found one night with his big flashlight, a cat. A wild cat was hanging around the garden. It's smart, because even I know there are lots of good things in the garden to smell and maybe eat if my humans aren't paying close attention :D In fact they tell me stories of how their other dog used to lay in the strawberry bed and eat his fill of strawberries like a contented king. My strawberry bed is fun to jump in, but it's lousy at producing strawberries. My humans had better do something about that. I'll keep you posted.

Bye for now,
Loki